March 3, 2010
- Andris Vītoliņš / Vītoliņš
- Painting / Photography / Design
- Vītoliņš was born in Liepaja, which leaves a great imprint. He has a bad temper sometimes, he might call himself difficult.
- He says : “When a man in our country starts to do something like painting, he becomes different from others. I am proud of this. Being different is exclusive.”
- He enjoys swimming and riding bicycle, especially riding it in the center of the city.
- He says: “I was born in 1975, 28. of September in Latvian port city Liepaja. The school i was going to ws situated in Riga. After i graduated from school i went to crafts school where i learned how to be a decorator. In times of the last socialism period’s i was working at Red Star Factory for one month, putting together motorbikes. Then I was accepted to Latvian Art academy where i spent about 7 years changing faculties. Starting with design and ending with painting faculty. I graduated from the Academy as a master of painting. In my art, at first i was making different objects and installations. In the recent years i moslty paint. I am very much attracted by industrial sceneries and different technical stuff and objects. Factories, oil derricks and cars are as close to me as people. I explore and photograph these industrial monsters quite often. Later, from the photographs i make i get the inspiration to paint. Often, i even get to know the history of these objects, this is similar to the process when surgeon before the operation reads the patient’s history. Then in process I operate just like plastic surgeon, сonverting objects, giving them new appereance and sometimes even soul. In the end, these monsters look at you with their new faces and rarely anyone can recognize them.”
- At the moment Vītoliņš is getting prepared for an exhibition which we will be able to see next year. He also is in the process of creating a book.
- He also draws people but does not show those paintigs as often as industrially themed.
You can find him at:
February 2, 2010
- Gatis Kurzemnieks
- different forms of visual communication
- “I have studied very different things – starting from 3D graphics to software engineering and real time graphics programming, and the most recent – visual communication in Latvian academy of Art.
I have always been fascinated by possibilities of new technologies – especially in real time 3D graphics, so for the last five years, I have been working as a game developer. Lately I feel, that I have had enough of making games and I want to try something new. I hope I have gathered quite unique set of skills while living in both – technical and artistic worlds, so I am ready for about anything.”
- “I am visual artist because I like everything that is visual. I don’t care what it is, but if it looks good and interesting – I’m in! Pretty pictures – yay!!! “
- “I don’t think I have ever done a serious piece of art. What is serious anyway? It is always about playing, experimenting and learning. “
- His perfect model/subject is someone extraordinary.
- We asked him if he thinks he is different and here is his answer : “Deep down we are all the same. “
- He gets inspired by Simple things around us, music, movies, books, people.
You can find him at:
January 26, 2010
now information about joining and following FILTERED is found on the “About” page.
And as you’ve noticed we are starting another page – “Must see.”
Which will contain information about interesting places and sites to see and visit. And links to our friends ;>
January 12, 2010
- Dace Lucia Kalpiša
- She is 22 years old, LMA student. Has enough wisdom to understand herself, use all the time she is given and never stop in achieving her objectives. She was in Riga with her mom when for the first time realised the great craving for having brush and a palette in her hands. Later she kept on looking on everything with widely opened eyes, seeing muses everywhere. She has been living in Sicily for a year, studying in Palermo art academy. Getting to know the Circe island once again reminded her of the feeling when she longs for holding brush and palette.”
- Things that she dislike do nothing but remind her that those are only odd things like forgotten cactus on which you are being gallantly seated. In such situations what you have to do is water the prickly plant and it will bloom nicely in that very moment. She likes speed, lightness and tango.
- She chose painting for she decided at the last minute not to become a neurosurgeon.
- She has made her first painting on July 27 of 1994 at 16;35. It was raining outside and theres was no chance to go out and play.
- Her ideal model is inspiration
- She will never stop finding out new things that differ her from all the other painters.
- She will never draw – “bad art”.
- She gets inspired by love and hate. Good and bad.
You can find her at:
She is also having personal exhibition this month
December 26, 2009
- Arthur Berzinsh
- Painter / Photo manipulation / Video / Music / Graphic art
- Born: April 20th, 1983 in Riga, Latvia.
- Education: 2000 – 2005 J. Rozentals Riga Art School. 2005 – 2009 Latvian Art Academy (LMA, Visual Communications Department, bachelor) Since 2009 studies in LMA MA course.
- Maybe for detached observer my creative work may seem like some kind of delirium of drunk angels, but actually each work of art I create contains a revelation, which partly is hidden, but other it’s parts gets denuded before the viewer. It’s such a marginal twilight world which I fill with my metaphors, and then I build these images on them like on frameworks.
- I shoot photos mostly for the raw material in my creative works – for photo manipulations and other kind of visual communication. My main streamlines in creative work are painting and film making. Also besides I work as advertising artist and sometimes create music and write prose.
- His first serious work – In 2001 –” this is still one of my favourite paintings called “Ashes of our Eden” – it is 150 cm high”.
- His perfect model – “The one that conform to the character that he/she has to represent in my vision”.
- Is he different? “Yes, I am. I am different even anatomically – I am the only human in Latvia with two heart ventricles instead of four.”
- “I will never visualise things, what are against my point of view.”
- What inspires him? “Obsession. I’m obsessed. Creative plans and idea generating processes holds me in their grasp all the time. I observe things – inside of me, outside – from the abstract view, I transform one wraith into other wraith’s metaphor. Anything can inspire me, but mostly – personal emotional experiences and social exacerbations.”
You can find him at:
June 30, 2009
- Diana Stadņuka
- Graphic artist / Painter
- Diana loves to observe people while at the same time she hates them. Her personality is full of contrasts, mistakes and obscurity and she is a different person every day, because it’s pointless and boring to stay the same and stick to only one point of view which lets her be flexible and achieve anything she wants. She never looks back at the past because no one can change it or bring it back so she prefers to work hard for tomorrow or enjoy her present.
- Diana has always felt different but not always realized she was. Over time life got weirder and weirder and people told her she was different indeed… “Too weird to live, to rare to die”
- Train tracks, rain, cats, documentaries, soviet films, independence are just a few things that she likes. Diana doesn’t like hot weather, crowded places and Jurmala.
- When Diana draws or paints something she enjoys the process more than the outcome and doesn’t put any meaning in the image. But when art will turn from a hobby in to work, she hopes to be able to enjoy the results on billboards and posters.