August 31, 2009
- Eduard / edw-ART
- Photography / Web design / Music
- His first real photograph was a picture of his girlfriend.
- He started taking photographs because it caused interest in him. He says : ” Every genre has it’s own colors”.
- He prefers digital photography. Since he is a reporter, he needs to do it quickly and anywhere here he may need it.
- We asked him what is his vision of a perfect model. He said (laughing) “beautiful!”.
You can find him at:
August 30, 2009
Вчера, 29 ого августа в баре Up in Smoke в старой Риге прошло первое, открывающее серию, мероприятие от FILTERED. В небольшом, но уютном месте, собрались ценители фотографии и живой музыки.
Выставка расположилась на одной из стен небольшой комнаты. 20 фотографий разных фотографов, которые так или иначе связаны с Фильтром.
Большинство фотографов уже есть на Фильтре и можно про них прочитать пройдя по ссылке. Остальные появятся здесь в скором времени.
Тем, кто посетил наше первое мероприятие и оставался там до конца (с 17:00 до 22:00), посчастливилось услышать большое разнообразие групп и солистов, которые согласились сыграть на нашем концерте.
Первым, взяв на себя все сложности по разогреву разномастной публики, выступал Глеб. По совместительству один из основателей Фильтра. Глеб пишет музыку и песни сам. Играет один.
Солист Паша, солист Марик, солист Витя, и очень забавный аккордеонист, Сава, который играл с ними вместе. И конечно А. Александров.
На фото сверху – Марик и Паша
На фото сверху – Паша
На фото сверху – Марик
На фото сверху – Паша
Далее группа Metro Kills. Ребята “нашли друг друга” осенью 2008-ого года. В их коллективе 5 человек. Алекси – гитара, вокал; Денис – гитара; Миша – ударные; Ленни – басс; Ксюша – клавиши.
На фото сверху – вокалист группы Metro Kills – Алекси.
На фото сверху – Алекси и Ксюша – Metro Kills
На фото сверху – Ленни, Денис, Алекси, Миша – Metro Kills.
Очень обрадовали своим присутствием ребята из группы Takmodno. Оень советую прочитать там их биографию. Ребята очень инересно сами о себе написали.
Александр Капич – бас,вокал; Дима. К – гитара; Александр Иванов – вокал; Артур – гитара; Данил Суворов – ударные.
Группа ППШ. Как парни сами пишут : “Группа родилась в мае прошлого года в подвале одного частного дома.”
Гитара, вокал – Илья Киреев; Бас-гитара, вокал – Андрей Влох; Ударные – Камиль Макурин.
На фото сверху – Андрей, группа ППШ
На фото сверху – Илья Киреев, группа ППШ.
Группа Vinchester – Андрей – гитара; Илья – басс; Герман – саксафон; Алексей – ударные; Саша – тромбон.
И конечно группа Gradiola.
Макс Рассвет – вокалист с гитарой(тексты,музыка); Андрей Гусев (Такито) – басист; Николай Груничев (Винни); Василий Кузнецов – барабанщик.
Фото by Papajka
Кроме многих фотографов, которые были выставлены, на концерт пришли так же другие участники Фильтра. Например Анастасия Мальченкова, художница.
Вобщем, всё прошло удачно. Старт был дан. И теперь мы надеемся проводить подобные мероприятия постоянно. ;>
А вот кстати сами основатели Фильтра, если кто-то нас еще не знает.
Огромное спасибо всем кто помогал нам до, во время и после проведения концерта.
Отдельная благодарность : Сергею Алешину, Лёве Лёве (you know ;> за фиш-ай фотографии и не только), Роме Ясинкову, Паше, Саше Усову, Дэну, Ричарду, Алисе Матюк. Надеемся никого не забыли.
И конечно спасибо Улгису и Up in Smoke за то, что предоставили нам место для проведения этого мероприятия.
August 28, 2009
- Natalija Pestune
- She says: “It is hard to tell what is unusual about my art. I photograph things i see or things i want to see. May be my own outlook to everything is the most unusual thing about my art. I think that film photography is now leaving the mass. Not many people nowadays (if we compare with digital cameras) are photographing on film,developing it and printing. I am talking about this long but breathtaking process.”
- She is a freelancer.
- She is learning Chinese language. At the moment she does not work anywhere. This period of her life is devoted to art and creativity: photography and needlework.
- She never limits herself, she does not follow any rules or techniques – her art is her freedom. This makes it hard to tell what what unites all her works. May be it is love in all its meanings.
- She likes film cameras because they fill every photo with life and soul. She does not use digital cameras.
- She shoots in both color and black and white. The last one takes more time and requires particular mood.
You can find her at:
August 27, 2009
- Dmitrij Petr-off / АгАтА
- Steampunk / Horror punk
- He’s got phlegmatic character. Loves quietness. Was born in Riga.
- His first drawing was Micky Mouse on a bicycle. Dmitrij was 8 years old. He was drawing from popular at that time pin.
- He started drawing because it helps to relax. Prefers horror genre.
- Dmitrij likes to combine digital and classical painting techniques.
- His perfect drawing must be flattering and beautiful.
- Element that unites all his works : “Disturbing peace of emptiness”
You can find him at:
August 27, 2009
- Ksenija Kolesnikova
- She says :”I was born in Riga. My grandfather was a photographer so I grew up in a family with creative atmosphere. I started taking pictures when I was 8 . My first camera was Zenit E. Photography and music is my everything. If I would stop taking pictures and listening to my favorite songs I swear, I would turn into someone else.”
- We asked her why did she choose photography. She says: “Interesting question. Truly, I don’t know. That’s something that’s always with me, no matter what. Perhaps that’s the only thing I am really good at. I always thought no one else could do it better than me, that’s why I keep taking pictures.”
- Ksenija says : “When I was 5 i did my first shot. That was colored picture of winter nature, looked like it was black and white. I was so amazed I decided to capture it. So that is when my relationship with black and white pictures has begun.”
- “I don’t take pictures in colors because there are a lot of colors in our common life. So most of us are tired of them. Remember those old black and white movies? They had soul. It’s the same with photography.”
- “I’m sure I can photograph anyone and make them beautiful because I really CAN SEE the beauty inside of people. At the moment my favorite model is Polina Jarvis because she got beautiful soul and big breasts at the same time. It’s very unusual.”
- “I try to capture the moments of truth. I don’t like to lie and It’s always very obvious when other photographers try to make you feel yourself like a fool. It’s hard to say what’s that. That’s something you can feel when you see it through the camera. The truth is in the feelings, emotions in people. I would never try to make my models look like someone they’re not.”
- She will never photograph children and animals.
- She gets inspired by everything that can make her get out of the bed in the morning. Everything that inspires her to be alive, to live and
You can find her at:
August 27, 2009
- Evita Knospiņa / Lotart
- She was born in Riga, than lived in Salaspils, now she lives in Riga again. She likes spending time with her friends. Likes spending time in nature. She reads a lot, likes discovering new things, learning new things, usually it is selfteduacation.
- She chose photography because this is a tool to stop and treasure beautiful moments, otherwise life goes by fast.
- She made her first serious shot approx. 3 years ago.
- She chooses black and white or color photography according to what she wants to capture. She would love to be shooting in black and white but her camera does not allow it to her.
- Ideal model for Evita is a person who understands the idea and adds something from himself to it. You don’t have to say “do that and that” all the time.
- She says: ” I will never photograph dead bodies neither people nor animals (staged death shots do not count).
- She is mostly inspired by insomnia. That’s the time when most of her ideas come up to her mind.
You can find her at:
August 27, 2009
Yes! We got an exclusive interview with the band’s Very Cool People guitarist Elvijs Grafcovs.
- The participants of the band : Elvijs Grafcovs – guitar, Toms Poiss – bass, Toms Rudzinkis or Artis Locmelis – sax, Maris Vitkus – synth and keys, Janis Jaunalksnis and Arturs Reirs – drums and percussions.
- Elvijs says : “I guess we got together because we all are just cool ;>”
- He says:”Talking about our music’s style .. well..It could be called jazz-funk, I think(to make it easy), but in general we are pretty open minded and the music we play cover pretty much from jazz to hip-hop to rock to funk to surff.”
- We asked him to tell us what are the things that keep the band together in everyday life, likes or dislikes may be. Elvijs said :”Music, beer and cheeseburgers.”
- About the story of the band’s name : “In July 2007 me, Toms Poiss and Arturs met for some rehearsal and went to studio to record demo and book some gigs, so after doing that studio guy burned it to CD and asked: ” so what is the name of band?” and some how I just answered as a joke “VERY COOL PEOPLE”, so since then we call ourselves like that.”
- “In general VCP is aroung since end of august 2007. Its different, for example with Toms Poiss we have played for some time already and not only in VCP, with Arturs from the beginning of VCP, Toms Rudzinskis joined us almost in the beginning, so as trio we had only one or two gigs. With Janis we are also together for some 1,5 years already, in the beginning he was as a substitution drummer, then we started to play with two drummers and now he is as main drummer J. with Maris or Artis we are playing from last September. Biggest goals achieved..I guess at the moment it is our debut album.”
- Overall about their music : “Very Cool Music ;>”
- Elvij’s favorite song: “It’s a bit hard question, because I don’t really have favorite neither from our tunes nor from other artists. Right now from our tunes I like the new one’s not recorded yet, from other artists I like albums(there are some favorite albums, not songs).”
- Elvij’s dream in this band and in music industry overall : “Got to get one of the Grammy awards :) Big house, five cars, private jet, something like that. ;>”
- Who of the famous bands or particularly guitarists would you like to meet? : “It would be nice to meet members of bands like Soulive(organ trio from New York), Galactic or Ibrahim electric guys. From individual musicians it would be cool to chat with guitarists Oz Noy, Wayne Krantz, John Scofield or Charlie Hunter, as well as drummer Stanton Moore, organist Robert Walter or some of cool 60´s soul jazz organ players like Jimmy Smith, Jack McDuff, Sam Lazar, Charles Earland or Funk Inc musicians, but with a lot of them is not possible to meet.”
- Their upcoming events : “In beginning of august we recorded a couple of new tunes, they are going to be with some feat. artists, but right now I wont tell you who are they, let us surprise you. The tune will be out in September or October. Also we started work on our web site, but it’s going a bit slow, I guess in fall we´ll focus on that more. In summer I have been working on new tunes, lately I have been in to surf music and Indian pop. So in new tunes I think you´ll be able to hear that. So in September with guys we will start to work on them together and we are planning to hit the clubs and fests in October. You can follow us in our blogs ;>”
- Very Cool People is a jazz-funk, fusion band originated in Riga, Latvia by guitarist Elvijs Grafcovs. With a backbone in jazz and funk, incorporating influences from rock and hip hop, Very Cool People are creating modern, complicate and listenable music for wide audience. The band with contemporary tools is trying to put jazz back to dancefloor and make it more accessible to ordinary, nowadays persons.
- VCP is influenced by a lot of brightest musicians in modern jazz, hip hop and funk today, like Soulive, Oz Noy, Charlie Hunter, Martin.Medeski & Wood, Galactic, Stanton Moore, The Roots, D’Angelo ect.
- Very Cool People also doesn’t raise no objection to new experiments and experience featuring vocals, MC’s or other instrumentalists, they had worked with different artist from Latvia, UK & Spain.
- Since september of 2007 VCP has played at:
- “Rigas Ritmi 2009″(Riga, Latvia), “Moonlight party 2009″(Saulkrasti, Latvia), “Baltic Graffiti Festival 2008″(Rīga, Latvia), “Jazzruller 2008″(Tallinn, Estonia), “Vilnius jazz 2007” (jazz festival Lithuania), “Bildes 2007″(Riga, Latvia), ”Black note”(jazz club Valencia , Spain), ”Jamboree” (jazz club Alicante, Spain),”Club de Jazz de las Mil Pesetas” (jazz club, Alicante, Spain), ”Brodvejus” (music club Vilnius, Lithuania), ”Rock cafe” (music club Tallinn, Estonia), ”City Jazz Club” (jazz club Riga, Latvia), ”Sunny jazz terrace” (jazz club Riga, Latvia) & different other festivals and clubs around Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia and Spain.
- In the beginning of summer 2009 VCP had released a self-titled debut. At the moment VCP is on the road, gigin´ and ¨blowing da roof off¨ of the places where they are invited..
You can find them at:
August 27, 2009
Open: 29 august – 6 september
Rīgas Mākslas Telpas ”Intro” Zālē
Latvian street artists KIWIE, AMC and SAKI’s personal exhibition”Beneath”.
The bottom line of the exhibition is that these three creative artists make a lot of commercial works in everyday life but beneath there always stays true graffiti and street art culture.
Opening: 28.08 at 19:00
more information: Riga Art Space “Intro” web site
August 27, 2009
Open : 12 and 13 september
Mūsdienu kultūras forums “Baltā nakts 2009” notiks naktī no 12. uz 13. septembri, turpinot iepriekšējo forumu tradīcijas un piedāvājot programmu, kas ietver vairāk nekā 19 teātra, mūzikas, filmas, kustības un vizuālās mākslas projektus.
“Baltās nakts 2009” pasākumi tiks organizēti ap 6. tramvaja līniju, kas būs gan foruma navigācijas ass, gan iespēja ērti pārvietoties. Plānotā programma iezīmē vienu no pilsētas centrālajām asīm, kas savieno vairākus aktīvus spontānas radošās izpausmes punktus – Spīķerus un VEF korpusus, K. Barona ielu un tās apkārtni. “Baltās nakts” teritorijā iekļauta arī galerija “Noass”, RIXC mediju centrs, “Rīgas mākslas telpa”, koncertzāle AVE SOL un Anglikāņu baznīca. “Baltās nakts” ietvaros norisināsies arī virkne paralēlo pasākumu citās kultūras institūcijās.
Šīs “Baltās nakts” vadmotīvs ir Latvijas multimediju patriarha Hardija Lediņa uzdotais jautājums: “Tagad acis atveriet, kur jūs esat, kā jums šķiet?” Tas plašu sabiedrības daļu vilina ļauties “Baltās nakts” notikumiem, lai meklētu atbildi. “Baltā nakts” vedina cilvēkus 365 gada dienām pievienot vienu nakti, kurā nedrīkst gulēt, jāatver acis un jāgūst jauna pieredze.
VENUE: Blaumaņa iela 32, Maskavas iela 12/1(Spīķeri), Stabu iela 14, Ūnijas iela 4 (VEF) TIME: 19:00-1:00
BolaBellamátic is a project developed by La Más Bella, an artistic collective of two people from Madrid (Spain). La Más Bella is going to install four BolaBellamátic machines in Riga in four different public spaces for the White Night, and invite some artists, both Spanish and Latvian, to make pieces of art to be sold into a plastic ball at a very cheap price: 1 lat. Official website
- Tune the city TO NIGHT FREQUENCY!
- Power-independent poetry
Text-group “Orbīta”, following their established route of multimedial search, have come up with a simple installation. Several exotic-looking self-made “fitness bikes” (the design of which has had to do with “The Riders of the Apocalypse”) are equipped with small slide projectors instead of lamps and with dynamo power generators. Each projector shows a few lines and altogether they create a projection of a poem.
This project intends to involve the public in active participation, because only when “riding” all bikes simultaneously the whole piece of poetry can be read. Also the brightness of the image directly depends on the energy input of the spectator-reader. Official website
- The whole world in one glance
This White Night culture node Dirty Deal in collaboration with Baltic Lomography association will present the largest lomography* exhibition in Latvia so far – lomo wall „The whole world in one glance”. The exhibition will bring together 3240 pictures made by the members of Baltic Lomography association. The exhibition will be opened on September 12th at 20:00 in the exhibition space Dirty Deal Expo (Maskavas street 12/k2) and will be available to the public until September 26th.
- Feetbox Sessions
- Media breaking into public space!
During the night from September 12th to 13th one of the empty shop display windows on Krišjāņa Barona street will come alive, helped by the Dirty Deal creative team in collaboration with the Finnish videoartist group Vixen and experimental electronic music artists from Riga.
The video material to be projected in the display windows will be created out of material shot in Riga city surroundings and live feed from surveillance cameras positioned in the display windows, and all that mixed with a previously produced video. The video projection will be a remixed reflection of the surrounding urban spaces, commenting on the city and trying to persuade passers-by to take a different look at the sights seen in the city every day. The musicians will also employ a similar technique – sounds will be recorded on the spot, in the streets framing the centre of Riga, and mixed with existing audio material.
- kim? art and cinema night
On a 4 metre high base stands a 3.5 metre high inflatable fabric figure. Every two minutes a fan turns on and off – the figure inflates and takes the shape of a figurative sculpture, then sags again, taking the shape of a flattened sack.
- Outdoor cinema – Le Bal in Vērmaņdārzs park
1983, Italy, France, Algeria. Directed by Ettore Scola
Academy Award nomination for best foreign language film, Caesar award and a whole list of other acknowledgments have established Le Bal by Ettore Scola among the unforgettable treasures of world cinema. In 1983 critics were literally raving about the grace and charm of this filma.
The ball takes place in an imaginary ballroom in Paris where a story in dancing, told by mimes, takes the spectators through time. Without uttering as much as a single word, it tells profoundly much about the eternal search for love, and by changing the characters, the film travels in time. The shrewd social observations in the ballroom allows the spectators to live through 50 years of French culture from the 1930ies to the 1980ies. Le Bal brings you superb acting, music and a colourful feeling of the era. A surprise after the screening – let’s dance together!
- The Gospel of Noise
- Onedotzero – Adventure in Motion
21:00 citystates – on life in a modern metropolis;
22:00 extended play – a compilation of prizewinning pieces from all over the world, united by storytelling that goes beyond the borders of traditional stories;
23:00 new british talent – short films from BBC music and comedy shows;
24:00 j-star – music videos and motion graphics by the most talented Japanese filmmakers and animation artists;
01:00 advanced beauty – 18 sculptures of video and sound that create a sensation of delicious colour and visible sound
- Erik Hobijn’s “Chemistry bar”
RIXC Media space (11. novembra krastmala 35) will house an installation-performance by the Dutch artist Erik Hobijn “Chemistry bar”. The surrounding setting will be created by RIXC artist group. “Chemistry bar” is made out of actual elements and materials of a bar and it functions as a regular bar (you can have a drink here), but it looks quite extraordinary (with its test-tubes, alembics, emphasized hyperreality and ritual atmosphere it rather resembles a theatrical laboratory, Frankenstein style). The artist himself describes it: “”Chemistry bar” is not a poetic artistic message, neither a representation of reality. It is not a theoretical laboratory but a real one – we serve fuming cocktails in test-tubes, experimenting with drinks and the audience.”
August 26, 2009
Open : 12 september – 19 september
“Survival Kit” maršruts
“Survival Kit” maršruts aizsāksies Vecrīgā ar izstādi “Laika gars un vietas atmosfēra” Rīgas Mākslas telpas “Intro” telpā, izstādēm “Dari pats!” galerijā “Supernova” un “Vietējais laiks” galerijā “Carousell”, turpināsies tukšo veikalu un kafejnīcu telpās divās galvenajās Rīgas iepirkšanās ielās – K. Barona un Tērbatas – un noslēgsies ar izstādi “Brīnišķīgais ceļojums” bijušās VEF rūpnīcas teritorijā.
“Projektu rosināja acīmredzamas norises mūsu pilsētā – divās no visaktīvākajām Rīgas ielām viens pēc otra pazūd veikali, kafejnīcas un citi pilsētas infrastruktūras elementi. Mēs aicinājām māksliniekus padomāt par mākslas izdzīvošanas komplektu šajos apstākļos. To vidū būs instalācijas un gleznas, video darbi un animācija, mail art, fotogrāfijas, komiksi un kolāžas, performances, grāmatnīcas, latvisks “ielas ēdiens”, filmas un recycled modes kolekciju demonstrācijas. Mēs rosināsim skatītājus piedalīties radošajās darbnīcās, kā arī iesaistīties diskusijās ar māksliniekiem par iespējām ietekmēt krīzes situāciju,” TVNET projektu raksturo Solvita Krese, “Laikmetīgās mākslas centrs” direktore.
„Survival Kit” is international art project, in whose framework artists will be asked to reflect upon a variety of survival strategies in the modern world. Currently, this theme is actively preoccupying the minds of the global community and it has also become especially topical in Latvia. The present situation is characterised by the fiasco of liberal capitalism, the collapse of the economy, threats to the ecology and escalation of regional conflicts. Waking up from a perpetually cultivated euphoria causes re-evaluation of habitual system of values and reconsider „the sense of life”. The world is experiencing huge changes, but it is not clear whether they are for better or worse.
The absence of either clear vision or a prognosis for the future increases uncertainty and paralysis. So what is the scenario for future developments? There are various options available; hopelessness and total crisis, or creative approaches and the opportunity, through experimentation, to give the present situation a new and positive quality.
What can artists do in this situation? Develop adventurous experiments and iniciate creative explosions to use advantage of the present situation. If there isn’t an appropriate moment for heroic narratives and representative events they could focus on exploration of everyday poetics, marginal footnotes, spontaneous manifestations and interventions. With minimal resources they could achieve surprising results by implementing DIY praxis, arte pover, ready made resources, performance and other activities, which will provide the basis for a collective experience. The artists are invited to contribute unusual strategies, innovative suggestions or unusual recipes for the survival kit that would help us to cope with the present situation.
The artists are invited to focus on the changes in the city’s environment, to meet in creative ghettos, where the artistic spirit is still alive. To occupy the empty shop spaces and fill the void, created by the economic crisis, with creative energy. They should act as mobile units which could actively respond to changes in the situation or, the exact opposite; they could create a safe haven, in which to weather the hard times. Perhaps it is just the right time to stop, escape from „workaholism”, find time to reflect and realise that the economy must become ecologically sound, food must be healthy, industry must be efficient and effective, and politics must be transparent and responsive to the community.
The project’s nexus will be the two main shopping streets in Riga, where, one after the other, shops, cafes, and other elements of the city’s infrastructure, are closing down. The artists will create their projects in these empty spaces – they will exhibit their works, organise performances, and encourage the public to participate in interactive activities, as well as initiating discussions about how artists can influence the city’s development; thus trying to find especially innovative solutions, that could be realised given the difficult climate created by the economic crisis. The remaining creative activities will take place in the so-called TAZ (Temporary Active Zone) areas, on the property of the former VEF factory, where a decidedly large group of artists has installed their workshop, and in the former market group of warehouses, in which a number of artist groups are actively pursuing their art. Not only is ‘Survival Kit’ trying to find solutions and offering strategies for the successful weathering of the global crisis, but it is also striving to react to the changes in the city’s environment, identifying both examples of purposeful gentrification, and following up the results of spontaneous initiatives.
Participating Latvian artists: Eriks Bozis, Kristians Brekte, Bolderaja group, Izolde Cesniece, Evelina Deicmane, Ieva Epnere, Kristaps Epners, Ivars Gravlejs, Kristaps Grundsteins, Voldemars Johansons, Raids Kalnins, Linards Kulless, Galka Kulio, Liga Laurenovica, Karlis Lesins, Elina Lihaceva, Baltic Comics Magazine KUŠ!, Anete Melece, Katrina Neiburga, text group Orbita, Ingrida Picukane, Kriss Salmanis, interdisciplinary arts group SERDE, Ineta Sipunova, Eizens Valpeters, design group “ZAFTE” (Inara Gauja/ Ingrida Zabere), Margita Zalite, Kriss Zilgalvis.
Also foreign artists have been invited, who would reflect a spectrum of wider creative approaches and ensure an interaction of various points of view which would promote the exchange of ideas and help to foster successful cooperation and avenues of communication, whilst strengthening the sense of solidarity. These include Alexander Vaindorf (SE), Henrik Duncker (FI), Marius Engh (NO), Boris Mitic (SRB), Theo Mercier (FR), Vladimir Arkhipov (RU), Valtteri Puyhonen (FI), SKART (SRB), Minna Hint (EE), Maija Pale (FI), Ruedi Schorno (CH).