March 3, 2010
- Andris Vītoliņš / Vītoliņš
- Painting / Photography / Design
- Vītoliņš was born in Liepaja, which leaves a great imprint. He has a bad temper sometimes, he might call himself difficult.
- He says : “When a man in our country starts to do something like painting, he becomes different from others. I am proud of this. Being different is exclusive.”
- He enjoys swimming and riding bicycle, especially riding it in the center of the city.
- He says: “I was born in 1975, 28. of September in Latvian port city Liepaja. The school i was going to ws situated in Riga. After i graduated from school i went to crafts school where i learned how to be a decorator. In times of the last socialism period’s i was working at Red Star Factory for one month, putting together motorbikes. Then I was accepted to Latvian Art academy where i spent about 7 years changing faculties. Starting with design and ending with painting faculty. I graduated from the Academy as a master of painting. In my art, at first i was making different objects and installations. In the recent years i moslty paint. I am very much attracted by industrial sceneries and different technical stuff and objects. Factories, oil derricks and cars are as close to me as people. I explore and photograph these industrial monsters quite often. Later, from the photographs i make i get the inspiration to paint. Often, i even get to know the history of these objects, this is similar to the process when surgeon before the operation reads the patient’s history. Then in process I operate just like plastic surgeon, сonverting objects, giving them new appereance and sometimes even soul. In the end, these monsters look at you with their new faces and rarely anyone can recognize them.”
- At the moment Vītoliņš is getting prepared for an exhibition which we will be able to see next year. He also is in the process of creating a book.
- He also draws people but does not show those paintigs as often as industrially themed.
You can find him at:
January 29, 2010
This amazingly talented artist gave us permission to publish his works, leaving us a little hope to one day also get an interview from him. Let’s hope. And meanwhile..
Born 1981.lives and works in Riga, Latvia
Areas of work:Fine arts, video & illustration.
His website has a long list of places and projects he participated in.
January 27, 2010
- Live digital painting
- Born in Riga in February of 1986. Studied traditional painting, drawing, sculpting also 3d modelling, illustration, video arts and web-design at Janis Rozentals Riga Art School. Right now studying visual communication in Academy of Arts of Latvia. Always wanted to become a game developer.
- Started only in 2007, when I tried to draw digitally(notebook+Wacom tablet) live models and surroundings as I have done it past decade in school, though with paper and pencil or oil and canvas. Paintings are mostly done in 30 minutes to 2 hours (usually till notebook`s battery depletes), so they have sketchy and fresh feel.
- Perfect model.. unaware of the photographer or artist who is taking photo/drawing him so he/she is as natural as possible – that`s why no one is looking straight at me in my works, models are caught in the middle of work, conversation or just taking a rest.
- “Am I different? Yeah as we all are..”
- Inspired by surroundings, other artists, movies, games.
You can find him at:
January 12, 2010
- Dace Lucia Kalpiša
- She is 22 years old, LMA student. Has enough wisdom to understand herself, use all the time she is given and never stop in achieving her objectives. She was in Riga with her mom when for the first time realised the great craving for having brush and a palette in her hands. Later she kept on looking on everything with widely opened eyes, seeing muses everywhere. She has been living in Sicily for a year, studying in Palermo art academy. Getting to know the Circe island once again reminded her of the feeling when she longs for holding brush and palette.”
- Things that she dislike do nothing but remind her that those are only odd things like forgotten cactus on which you are being gallantly seated. In such situations what you have to do is water the prickly plant and it will bloom nicely in that very moment. She likes speed, lightness and tango.
- She chose painting for she decided at the last minute not to become a neurosurgeon.
- She has made her first painting on July 27 of 1994 at 16;35. It was raining outside and theres was no chance to go out and play.
- Her ideal model is inspiration
- She will never stop finding out new things that differ her from all the other painters.
- She will never draw – “bad art”.
- She gets inspired by love and hate. Good and bad.
You can find her at:
She is also having personal exhibition this month