February 11, 2010
February 2, 2010
- Gatis Kurzemnieks
- different forms of visual communication
- “I have studied very different things – starting from 3D graphics to software engineering and real time graphics programming, and the most recent – visual communication in Latvian academy of Art.
I have always been fascinated by possibilities of new technologies – especially in real time 3D graphics, so for the last five years, I have been working as a game developer. Lately I feel, that I have had enough of making games and I want to try something new. I hope I have gathered quite unique set of skills while living in both – technical and artistic worlds, so I am ready for about anything.”
- “I am visual artist because I like everything that is visual. I don’t care what it is, but if it looks good and interesting – I’m in! Pretty pictures – yay!!! “
- “I don’t think I have ever done a serious piece of art. What is serious anyway? It is always about playing, experimenting and learning. “
- His perfect model/subject is someone extraordinary.
- We asked him if he thinks he is different and here is his answer : “Deep down we are all the same. “
- He gets inspired by Simple things around us, music, movies, books, people.
You can find him at:
January 28, 2010
- Oskars Pavlovskis
- He never limited himself within any particular category. He does whatever he finds interesting for himself.
- Born in Latvia,Riga. He is involved with art since early childhood. Starting with art schools and ending with LMA. Works professionally as a computer graphics artist. This is exactly what he wants ti be doing in the future. Particularly designing computer games.
- He gets inspired almost by everything.
You can find him at:
January 26, 2010
- Roman Sidoroff
- graphic design/ web designer/ travel photography
- Brief Biography: In 1997 I became the creator of the first company in Latvia, specialising in web site development — WebDizainaCentrs, having for two years previously tested the forces in 3D modeling with the advertising agency. From 1999 with a partner I opened RS studio, which still exists to this day and specialises in web hosting under the brand Elinks hosting. Since 2003 I have had an association with TrueVision, a company which I also partially own. Most of my time and energy has been taken with its development. Since 2007, as a hobby, I developed a portal Ind-Ex.LV, about the life of my favorite city, periodically organising offline parties with colleagues. In years 2006 – 2009 participated in development of ind-ex.lv project. Left project in the end of the year 2009.
- “Design – it all started in 1996, when a first computer emerged at my house, 486. Of course first thing to do was serf the games. Packs of floppy disks, archives. But then one day a friend of mine came to me and showed me a small 3D animation of a beating heart. In that very moment i got my head blown off and decided i want to be doing computer graphics.”
- “That’s actually how the connection : Me and Computer was established. It all started from 3d modeling and animation on those old computers.”
- “Unfortunately, the deeper i went into discovering 3D the better i realised that i do not have enough technical resources to realise my ideas. And money was a problem at that time so eventually I ended up dealing with 2D and web design.”
- “With time, understanding the essence of the discipline i realised that design – is not just an image, being drawn by someone. Design – is a lifestyle. Design – is problem solving. And graphics is a tool to cope with tasks set by client or myself. To be successful in this you should every time get into the essence of the project, business, area. To get the idea how it works.”
- “Undoubtedly design helps very much throughout the life. For this concept slightly flowed into every household area of our life. I like cooking – it is also kind of design. There is mass of possibilities for examining object, experiments and problem solving.”
- “What i don’t like about my job is that i have a lot more ideas in my mind than physical possibilities. Sometimes it is even hard to stop. And you have to do that sometimes. Life offline is wonderful ;>. You should not forget to breathe and experience the joy of watching a sunset. Simple things.”
- “There is this thing in design that your work may never be seen. You invest your time, ideas, yourself in a project and than due to some consequences your work is to be placed in a drawer and never be seen. You can spend months working over a project. And then find out that it will never see the light. But with experience you start to feel more confident and easy-going about everything. Yes-yes; No- no.”
- “I do not have specialised education in the area of design. I could do that abroad but it’s worthy and sometimes dangerous. The thing is they set limits. And people who get education there are doing same stuff all their life not asking themselves WHY? WHAT FOR?”
- One of his favorite projects is screen-savers for double coffee website. Idea was Roman’s and realisation in collaboration with PAL. Within work in true-vision.net of course. And from the latest: his personal website sidorov.com Another extraordinary project – outdoor advertising for Aiziet fest. The idea to turn people up side down and put them underground with leaving legs on the surface belongs to Dmitry Bulkin. And i had to do the realisation of all this craziness ;>.
- He says that every problem can be solved in an interesting way.
You can find him at:
January 26, 2010
now information about joining and following FILTERED is found on the “About” page.
And as you’ve noticed we are starting another page – “Must see.”
Which will contain information about interesting places and sites to see and visit. And links to our friends ;>
January 20, 2010
- Ainārs, Ragazm
- In search of his style and genre / Graphic art
- “I am 21 years old. Living in little city in Rezekne, where you can count on fingers all people who are somehow interested in art. Although I am so young, I have already tried so many things in my life, starting with music (when I was 14 i founded a punk-rock band that existed 5 years), than also art and photography. I can’t live without any way of expressing myself. And i prefer art as the most developed tool of such. Also I am a bit more radical then any other artist, for punk-rock culture is 1/3 of my life now and it left an unforgettable mark in my mind. I have learned to look at everything in a bit different way.”
- “I am a person with an associative way of thinking. I can get inspired from rocks, leaves, paper sheets, concrete, but the best way to get inspiration undoubtedly is music in which you can feel the atmosphere.”
You can find him at:
December 26, 2009
- Anatoly Vyalikh
- Graphic design / Illustration / Motion design / Photography / Animation
- “I started creating art when i was one year old, i think, and my parents gave me a pencil. May be it was earlier, i do not really remember that far into my childhood. And talking about the first serious piece of art i created .. i was 16 years old if i remember right and i decided to put out some of my drawings to the information desk in school, near the principal’s office. I was surprised to find out that people where reacting positively to this action and every break many students and even some teachers where gathering near the desk to see them. Some time later, school newspaper arranged an interview with me and offered me a chance to have a personal exhibition. It’s ironic, that after this majority of young girls from junior grades where literally chasing me to get a drawing for them.”
- “Everything in this life has a great influence on me, especially the nature. I think this is what creates character of my works. They are the tool I use to express my inner world, show everyone how I personally see it. I love it when design is minimalistic, restrained and simple. I reckon, objective of any design is not in decorating but in fulfilling the task that is given. I believe this is why i admire works of such designers as Otl Aicher, Joseph Muller-Brockmann и Dieter Rams. By the way, Dietes Rams has a very accurate saying about design : “Good design is as little design as possible”.
- “When i was in 6th grade, i called police and told them that there was a bomb laid in my school. I was cought after some time. After a week or so, for just after the call i went to Moscow. I was not punished but now i know how does the trial look from inside.”
- “I love to cuddle in rug, drink tasty freshly brewed tea, look at warm candle light and listen to blizzard howling outside the window or rain drops hitting the windowsill. When one day I will have my own house I want it to have immense windows, I want it to become part of the nature that will be surrounding it, so that I could be sitting there inside, cuddly and comfortable, watching everything outside my windows and diving into thoughts. Or be working at another project.”
- “If it was not for design i would be collecting flowers and herbs. I would examine their healing properties and brew them into teas and infusions. I would probably open my own cafe where everyone could come, and in silent and warm atmosphere read a book and enjoy freshly baked buns, tasty sweets and a tea of herbs i’ve collected. But any ways I would never let anyone else make up the design of jars and interior. It makes me a man who can not let design out of one’s life i suppose.”
- “Usually the idea of the work comes and gets formed in short term. I am not really good at long term idea generating, though i can be stretching the process for weeks or months if needed.”
- “When I have to create something for someone they usually have their own requirements. I sometimes get confused when their wished do not get along with my ideas.”
- “One time I was a learner of Lebedev A. There was a time when I was a great fan of his studio’s works. Now this admiration abated but i keep on looking through the site od Lebedev’s studio and Lebedev’s personal blog. I like most of the things he writes, but i consider him to be a great organizer first and only than a designer.”
- “I do not only work in area of graphic design. In future, i wish to be doing design-projects connected with motion-design and environment design. For example design and concept of a single street. I am a person who is interested in immense amount of things and i wish to try everything. Not so long ago i wished to be an architect, so who knows, may be in few years i will be changing the field of my activities to something absolutely different.”
- “My favorite type – Helvetica. Everyone I am studying with are even joking about it and when hearing someone say “Helvetica” they turn smiling to my side. Recently I have fallen for type called DIN 1415, created in the beginning of 20th century in Germany, as a unified type for road and rail way sings. This type is a foundation of every single “road” types created ever after. I like it’s legibility and simplicity of forms.”
- “Most of genius people I would want to work with are already dead. For example Otl Aicher, whom i spoke about earlier. His design is brief and functional. I think, if I would ever get a chance to work with Otl Aicher, I would definitely learn a lot from him. As to the modern designers – I like Pentagram studio.”
- “At the moment I am working with wonderful art director of a Russian business magazine “Trade secret” (“Секрет Фирмы”) Ilya Aleynikov. I love the rhythm i have to follow when working with him and the tasks which are being set. I marvel how this person is able of creating a whole magazine and at the same time participates in other projects. Working with him brings a lot of knowledge and experience that i could not get when working with someone else. I did not have a chance to work with any Latvian artist yet, and I hope that with time, I will overtake arrears. “
- “I chose Moscow as a city to live and study because it is a capital of country where i was born. Moscow always was something sublime and unusual for me. When i was a little kid I was overwhelmed my its magnitude and power. I guess this is what played a crucial role in deciding where will i study. I was also attracted by the fact that I will be studying in British high school and getting British education while living in Moscow. Now, having grown I started to see the aspects of Russia and Moscow which you see only when facing common life. The dirt is everywhere boorishness and unkindness of people here. Disorder in everything starting with shop signs and ending with public transport. I love this country. But what these people are turning it into, sometimes makes me think if there is any point in loving Russia and if this country even has any future.”
- Anatoly has also gone to some extraordinary places. For example he went to North Korea. It was a documentary film about Kim Chen Ire and political situation in province Kanvondo. No, actually. Whole thing is just a rumor. ;>
- “I like the idea of designing travel ads. for countries. I get attracted by the idea of compressing the image of the country or city into a logo and brandbook. Creating design and unique image.”
- We asked him if he has a dream-project. “There are many. One of them is to design a general image for Daugavpils city. So that it could finally have a fine logo, sings, booklets and so on.”
You can find him at:
November 8, 2009
- Artis Taurins
- Graphic design / Photography
- “I’m 34cm wide-by-waist guy who likes potato pancakes, climbing trees, sleeping and is interested mainly in graphic design, but cherishing photography as well.”
- Photography is a good way for self-exploration thanks to the possibility for stilling a quickly passing moment and then reflecting on it. Regarding this possibility, photography can also become a key the story which unveils and becomes alive in your imagination.”
- “Graphic design is not very different from photography in terms of purpose to me, also it’s the same good old childhood playground with tools which have transformed into more sophisticated ones, but the idea of messing around with shapes, colours and materials finding the perfect-combo is the same. Only now you can also get payed for”
- About his first serious piece of art : “Hopefully still to come, but there are naturally some works I hold dear and important to myself.”
- “I like both colour palettes, though b/w is more preferable.”
- “Everyday situations, quite suburban places, people and nature – perfect models and subjects.”
- He does not think he is different.
- He will never visualize kangaroo having a wank.
You can find him at:
September 23, 2009