December 27, 2009
- Eriks Naivo
- Photography / Pictures
- “I was born on june 22th. Ancient Mayas thought this day is a very special and a saint one. At this date day was fighting with night, black was fighting with white. I am an introvert. I love evenings, especially in summer when there are sunsets I can be sitting for hours gazing from the rooftops. I love reading books at night, writing poems. Not so long ago i learned how to bake a cake. I am not arrogant, amorous open to new people and care for them. I fear loneliness more than oldness.”
- His first photograph – a picture of his mom. He was studying in 4th grade.
- “I get a great excitement from the process of photographing. I love colors. i am more interested in working with film. Everything seems to be more natural.”
- “I think a perfect model is a person who is relaxed in their behaviour, and has the virtuosity and his unique style.
- Naivety – is something that unites all of his works.
- He gets inspired by music, movies, intimates, seasons, pear jam.
You can find him at:
December 26, 2009
- Dmitry Bulkin
- Creative photography
- “I am of a calm and not noticeable nature. It is very easy to forget about my existence. I love people who are always in search of something and never say they know everything about something, no matter what heights they have achieved. I do not like it when people are imposing a conversation. I personally never propose to talk until i make sure person wants this conversation on this topic. I do not like physical violence and its demonstration in any form, especially in the art. Born in Riga, and this fact makes me happy.”
- “A conscious picture for me is a photograph in which every detail and purpose of such is understood. It is difficult to capture the moment when you fully reconstruct yourself from reflex to act, therefore it is difficult to call any photograph as a first conscious or last perceived. “
- “I started taking photographs because there was and still remains will to express myself. As I am visual and realist photography is optimal for me. This is just the most appropriate language of expression. I mostly do black and white photography for I do not have the cleverness to speak through color. I prefer the language of forms and objects. Though I respect color photography as well. Since inability of writing does not always result with inability of reading. There are many photographers who express themselves stunningly with color. It is a skill to be treasured.”
- “Majority of my works are medium-format film photos, but I do not deny digital photography. It is just that with film it is easier for me to achieve desired results. There are stories and subjects that can only be captured in film, but there are also those which look better when captured in digital.”
- “The task of every model or object in frame is to carry some specific information. It all depends on it. Model may be perfect for one photograph but be absolutely worthless in other. The difference between model and an object is that is has more information laid into her and this means she can be tuned in more ways. The perfect model – one that can be tuned easier then others, be the needed word in authors tale. Not always it is the task of model to tune herself, usually it is the ability or lack of such of a director to select and customize model as a tool. And the more the model can rely on the conductor, the better is the result.”
- “I will never visualise something I do not like. Something I do not approve of, do not understand or see no sense in it. For photograph – is something author says to his companion – viewer. If I don’t want to talk about something why should I ever want to make a photograph about it?”
- He feels different from others as well as difference between every creative and talented person.
- “All my works are created with an aim to tell viewer something. To share something, no matter what it is – a story, a thought, mood, feeling or question. If there is nothing to share through them – there is no sense. Do you manage to say what you wanted or not – this is another question.”
- He gets inspired by questions and searching answers for them.
You can find him at:
December 26, 2009
- Maxim Kool / Chiko / Chikanutoja noga
- Film photography
- “Usually I can’t tell a lot about myself. I was born in the end of 1990 in November. I had a pretty nice childhood full of different trips and journeys. Furthermore, I enjoy to dance, especially break dance, this is my passion)) Usually I dance together with my friends. Also all my family is interested in water tourism, we swim in different rivers on self made or bought boats. I like to travel in different countries to discover new places that I have never seen and meet new people.”
- “When I was 13 or 14 me and my friend were playing with digital camera, shooting everything, everywhere. Then, we forgot about it for some time. Two years ago when my grandma gave me the heavy Zenit-11 as a present, I made my first shots and some of them were really nice considering that it was my first time. I was surprised by the colors and quality of the pictures, they gave me the reason to continue to take pictures.”
- “For a long time I used only color film, but 3 or 4 months ago I tried black and white film for the first time. The result was very interesting and inspiring. I think that in future I will use both of them color and black and white.”
- “My ideal object and model is nature and people that surround me.”
- “I’m different and at the same time I’m like others.”
- He will never visualise death.
- “Usually I’m inspired with other photographers and with new places where I travel, last but not least is the nature! Sometimes with my own pictures :)”
You can find him at:
December 26, 2009
- Arthur Berzinsh
- Painter / Photo manipulation / Video / Music / Graphic art
- Born: April 20th, 1983 in Riga, Latvia.
- Education: 2000 – 2005 J. Rozentals Riga Art School. 2005 – 2009 Latvian Art Academy (LMA, Visual Communications Department, bachelor) Since 2009 studies in LMA MA course.
- Maybe for detached observer my creative work may seem like some kind of delirium of drunk angels, but actually each work of art I create contains a revelation, which partly is hidden, but other it’s parts gets denuded before the viewer. It’s such a marginal twilight world which I fill with my metaphors, and then I build these images on them like on frameworks.
- I shoot photos mostly for the raw material in my creative works – for photo manipulations and other kind of visual communication. My main streamlines in creative work are painting and film making. Also besides I work as advertising artist and sometimes create music and write prose.
- His first serious work – In 2001 –” this is still one of my favourite paintings called “Ashes of our Eden” – it is 150 cm high”.
- His perfect model – “The one that conform to the character that he/she has to represent in my vision”.
- Is he different? “Yes, I am. I am different even anatomically – I am the only human in Latvia with two heart ventricles instead of four.”
- “I will never visualise things, what are against my point of view.”
- What inspires him? “Obsession. I’m obsessed. Creative plans and idea generating processes holds me in their grasp all the time. I observe things – inside of me, outside – from the abstract view, I transform one wraith into other wraith’s metaphor. Anything can inspire me, but mostly – personal emotional experiences and social exacerbations.”
You can find him at:
December 26, 2009
- Anatoly Vyalikh
- Graphic design / Illustration / Motion design / Photography / Animation
- “I started creating art when i was one year old, i think, and my parents gave me a pencil. May be it was earlier, i do not really remember that far into my childhood. And talking about the first serious piece of art i created .. i was 16 years old if i remember right and i decided to put out some of my drawings to the information desk in school, near the principal’s office. I was surprised to find out that people where reacting positively to this action and every break many students and even some teachers where gathering near the desk to see them. Some time later, school newspaper arranged an interview with me and offered me a chance to have a personal exhibition. It’s ironic, that after this majority of young girls from junior grades where literally chasing me to get a drawing for them.”
- “Everything in this life has a great influence on me, especially the nature. I think this is what creates character of my works. They are the tool I use to express my inner world, show everyone how I personally see it. I love it when design is minimalistic, restrained and simple. I reckon, objective of any design is not in decorating but in fulfilling the task that is given. I believe this is why i admire works of such designers as Otl Aicher, Joseph Muller-Brockmann и Dieter Rams. By the way, Dietes Rams has a very accurate saying about design : “Good design is as little design as possible”.
- “When i was in 6th grade, i called police and told them that there was a bomb laid in my school. I was cought after some time. After a week or so, for just after the call i went to Moscow. I was not punished but now i know how does the trial look from inside.”
- “I love to cuddle in rug, drink tasty freshly brewed tea, look at warm candle light and listen to blizzard howling outside the window or rain drops hitting the windowsill. When one day I will have my own house I want it to have immense windows, I want it to become part of the nature that will be surrounding it, so that I could be sitting there inside, cuddly and comfortable, watching everything outside my windows and diving into thoughts. Or be working at another project.”
- “If it was not for design i would be collecting flowers and herbs. I would examine their healing properties and brew them into teas and infusions. I would probably open my own cafe where everyone could come, and in silent and warm atmosphere read a book and enjoy freshly baked buns, tasty sweets and a tea of herbs i’ve collected. But any ways I would never let anyone else make up the design of jars and interior. It makes me a man who can not let design out of one’s life i suppose.”
- “Usually the idea of the work comes and gets formed in short term. I am not really good at long term idea generating, though i can be stretching the process for weeks or months if needed.”
- “When I have to create something for someone they usually have their own requirements. I sometimes get confused when their wished do not get along with my ideas.”
- “One time I was a learner of Lebedev A. There was a time when I was a great fan of his studio’s works. Now this admiration abated but i keep on looking through the site od Lebedev’s studio and Lebedev’s personal blog. I like most of the things he writes, but i consider him to be a great organizer first and only than a designer.”
- “I do not only work in area of graphic design. In future, i wish to be doing design-projects connected with motion-design and environment design. For example design and concept of a single street. I am a person who is interested in immense amount of things and i wish to try everything. Not so long ago i wished to be an architect, so who knows, may be in few years i will be changing the field of my activities to something absolutely different.”
- “My favorite type – Helvetica. Everyone I am studying with are even joking about it and when hearing someone say “Helvetica” they turn smiling to my side. Recently I have fallen for type called DIN 1415, created in the beginning of 20th century in Germany, as a unified type for road and rail way sings. This type is a foundation of every single “road” types created ever after. I like it’s legibility and simplicity of forms.”
- “Most of genius people I would want to work with are already dead. For example Otl Aicher, whom i spoke about earlier. His design is brief and functional. I think, if I would ever get a chance to work with Otl Aicher, I would definitely learn a lot from him. As to the modern designers – I like Pentagram studio.”
- “At the moment I am working with wonderful art director of a Russian business magazine “Trade secret” (“Секрет Фирмы”) Ilya Aleynikov. I love the rhythm i have to follow when working with him and the tasks which are being set. I marvel how this person is able of creating a whole magazine and at the same time participates in other projects. Working with him brings a lot of knowledge and experience that i could not get when working with someone else. I did not have a chance to work with any Latvian artist yet, and I hope that with time, I will overtake arrears. “
- “I chose Moscow as a city to live and study because it is a capital of country where i was born. Moscow always was something sublime and unusual for me. When i was a little kid I was overwhelmed my its magnitude and power. I guess this is what played a crucial role in deciding where will i study. I was also attracted by the fact that I will be studying in British high school and getting British education while living in Moscow. Now, having grown I started to see the aspects of Russia and Moscow which you see only when facing common life. The dirt is everywhere boorishness and unkindness of people here. Disorder in everything starting with shop signs and ending with public transport. I love this country. But what these people are turning it into, sometimes makes me think if there is any point in loving Russia and if this country even has any future.”
- Anatoly has also gone to some extraordinary places. For example he went to North Korea. It was a documentary film about Kim Chen Ire and political situation in province Kanvondo. No, actually. Whole thing is just a rumor. ;>
- “I like the idea of designing travel ads. for countries. I get attracted by the idea of compressing the image of the country or city into a logo and brandbook. Creating design and unique image.”
- We asked him if he has a dream-project. “There are many. One of them is to design a general image for Daugavpils city. So that it could finally have a fine logo, sings, booklets and so on.”
You can find him at:
December 24, 2009
TELEPORT TO 2010!
Большая новогодняя «Орбита»-льная телепортация!
Есть ещё один способ взять с собой в Новый год только самое лучшее, совершив пространственно-временной виток по «Орбите». И, наполнившись новыми силами и эмоциями, переместиться в наступающий год тигра!
Творческа мастерская Орбита встречает Новый год на Андрейсале насыщенной концертной программой с участием множества актуальных музыкальных коллективов и ди-джеев!
31 декабря приглашаем тебя и твоих друзей переместиться в год 2010 в потоке стильной и экспрессивной музыки, в исполнении интереснейших групп: Sun Quay, Forshpil, Kuchenbeat, JJ Project, Apofeoz Sound System,а также таких известных и горячо любимых ди-джеев как Ksenia Kamikaza, DJ Kone, DJ Moro, DJ Space Contour, DJ Bombey, DJ Funkstrot и видеохудожников VJ Astrowind и VJ Pleshkan
Во время сеанса телепортации будет работать бар «Coffe Time», который сможет предложить как алкогольные напитки, так и уже оцененные многими его фирменные кофе, какао, капучино и горячий шоколад.
Для тех, кто хочет встретить Новый год за столом непосредственно в «Орбите», предусмотрена резервация столиков в отсеке ВИП-ложи. Места можно заранее заказать, позвонив по телефону: 26399336
Посадочное место на телепорт 3 Ls. Точка отправления: Андрейсала (Андрейостас-4, корпус 15). Концерт начнётся уже в 21:00, чтобы к праздничному планетарному фейерверку мы были в нужной для телепортации кондиции. И чтобы начать Новый год так, как и хотелось – весельем, танцами и громким «ура!».
До встречи 31 декабря в «Орбите»!
December 17, 2009
- Gennady Kasatkin
- “I work in building, photography is a hobby, which I hope will evolve into my work in the future. I love to travel, attend old, deserted buildings, examine them from the inside, imagine their story. I don’t like when someone’s interrupting. I was born in Riga, I’ve lived all my life in Olaine.”
- ” I Don’t know when i did my first shot, it happened a long time ago, when I used to take shots on old film-cameras. A more professional experience was, probably, at a train station, when I was experimenting with exposure, used a tripod to shoot a passing train and asked a friend to sit on the bench for the composition. After aiting for 15 seconds for the exposure I was very excited about the shot, it was something very new for me, and I immediately ran to the highway tto continue experimenting, and was as excited as for the first time.”
- “At the company, we had a very old camera of a friend of mine, and he used to take it to different occasions for a review, but no one really was into taking photos, except for me. I liked to look for something unusual, different actions, moments. Of course I tried to capture them. All in all I ended up taking pics for a long time and decided to get myself a camera.”
- “Speaking of b/w or colour, I don’t like to separate them. Take photos in colour, but sometimes it just begs to be b/w. That’s why I never take pics in b/w intentionally, decide on the situation what’s best.”
- “I suppose I’m not a professional, so I’ll continue taking pics in digital, I make too much mistakes for spoiling film. I suppose I’m not ready yet. But film is much better than digital because you don’t get as much shots, and before you shoot, you get to closely examine the object, find a position to shoot it from, set the light and crop it accordingly. You don’t shoot just to shoot.”
- “I think a model should be a good actor, so she fits into any situation, play his or her role so that by looking at a picture people would see a small scene, a composition.”
- “I will never take pictures of funerals and anything related to them.”
- “Everyone’s got his own style, I didn’t chose mine yet, so I can’t say what I like shooting the most. I recon photography being like music, it can’t be liked by everyone at a time. So some like my works, some don’t.”
- He gets inspired by weather, music.
December 16, 2009
- Santa Dimante / Zip Fon Moloko
- Photography / fashion photography
- “I don’t like speaking about myself. I love to show myself through my work, my stile, my image.”
- “However, my story is simple – a long time ago my dad bought a camera Zenit ET, with which he loved to picture me and mom, and the sea. I remember when, being a child, I was irritated by similar photos in albums and I used to ask my parents why do they take them. Later, at school, I began to take photos on my phone – back then, I had nothing but a 2 mp built in camera. I suppose I won’t recall my first responsible shot: it happen so instantly, from a cool pic to an effort of self-expression. I felt photography absorbed me, I developed a better technique.”
- “For me, photography is a climb to the top of Kilimanjaro. Why not Everest? Because I like to be different. Why say “a climb”? Because I don’t like easy targets. Why to the top? Because I think that the things I’m doing now are just a foundation of my potential. I’m only at the foot of Kilimanjaro, my friends, and it gives me goosebumps.”
- “Actually, I don’t count myself to be a photographer, and I don’t want to become one. Photo, graphic, style, image – notions, that interlace so tightly in everything that interests me.”
- “Now I can surely say, that if I would call myself a photographer, then it would be a portraitist and a black-and-whiter. I’ve been told in college that there are people, who draw with colours, and there are people, who play with light and shade. I relate to the second type. Colour is important in a shot if it has a meaning or gives us the atmosphere.”
- “I put film-made photos above the digital ones. It has a lot of reasons, but I like to give an example: Chopin’s waltz – classical or electrical piano?”
- “Ideal models don’t exist. The ideal is not perfect. But you can find very interesting crow’s noses and very sexy crooked teeth.”
- She will never visualise perfect people, boring faces and bad taste.
- “Of course everyone’s photos are different like handwriting is different. If it’s not, it makes you ask if everything is ok with this guy.”
- “I had an experience working for an order, taking glamorous photos of young girls. I also took pics on a lomo-cam from outside a train window. And all these are pixeled melodies. Or grains of silver.”
- “Music inspires me. Brit rock, rock’n’roll, the sixties, the seventies… something classical eventually. Images – people, who’s life, like books, an I want to became an illustrator. I’m inspired by feelings. I’m inspired by everything that makes my heart beat faster.”
You can find her at:
December 14, 2009
- Klara Zagorjanska
- Photography / interior architecture
- i was born in 1991 at the begging of summer and my sign is gemini,that explains everything about me. two different worlds carrying a sun and a smell of sea breeze . i try to look at world in different way, always exploring something new and never forgetting everything past. always searching and never afraid to loose.
once i’ve read a book of H. Murakami ‘dance dance dance’ and from that moment my life can be described as a passionate dance. i try to dance through a life as good as i can , so everybody could feel the amount of energy and imagination that i carry. it was 7th grade when I started seeing my interest in art but only in past three years i understood that i want to dedicate myself in art fully. so i went to England to study interior architecture and improve my skills in photography ,drawing, acting , music and dance.
- i choose to be a photographer simply to capture a moment. with my camera i feel secure. i see something unforgettable everyday and i always want somebody to feel the same, to see the same and camera helps me with this mission. I just can’t resist the sound of descent of a shutter.In every building from the start lies an idea and a great research as well as connection with nature and human – that’s why i study architecture.
- i was 15 years old when I started going to LMA courses and my sister gave me her film camera. from that moment it is always in my bag next to watercolors and a chocolate bar. but the first ‘serious’ photos i took where while being ill one winter week, i felt really sick and tried to find something that would bring me back to life. until now photography sometimes brings me back to life.
- definitely both color and bw. you can’t even compare them, the way you express your photography through color or throw bw is uncompetitive.
- there is no perfect in my world, if there is a human, or a place, or a thing i should have met or seen and took a picture of that, then it just had to happen. i like people who have a conversation between me and the camera.
- it is not a secret that we all are different, but some times i do believe there is something inside me that can be described as different.
- .i will never visualize something that shouldn’t be seen for anybody else.
- things that inspire her : “you know, those simple things, a favorite track in your head, a smile of a friend, a laugh of a family member, a light of sun and a sound of sea waves.”
You can find her at:
December 12, 2009
- Marina Stelte, MariStel
- I was born in Riga (Latvia), where I still remain. I’m a moody person. Can be easily annoyed, and can recover quickly. Sociable. Love traveling. Adore meeting new people, discovering new places. The things I dislike… hmm… I guess I don’t like a lot self-conceit. Lies, betrayal and envy.
- Sunset on the beach. It’s one of my favorite daytime’s. I’ve went to art class before. Participating in a contest, I’ve won a film camera. The one I used later to make my first “masterpiece”. Back then, I really considered it to be one.
- I inherited it from my granddad. He was a photographer, so a part of his talent had awaken in me. Since childhood I’ve been tempted by this black boxy with buttons. I love to stop time.
- Speaking about nature, I prefer colours, in taking portraits my choice is black and white.
You can find her at: