Normunds Rustanovičs @ FILTERED
January 29, 2010
- Normunds Rustanovičs / N.R.
- “I don’t lock myself to a specific category, as photography is not my only hobby, I try to explore different areas, mostly landscape, street and portrait. I started to do street when I got my first order of TRIX400 BW film, which is wonderful for this purpose.”
- “I guess I started to get serious about photography because I love nature, I like to freeze the wonderful moments as I see them, and show them to others. I travel by bicycle and have seen probably all of Latvia, so I have had many opportunities to make images. Apart from photography and travel I also do Geo caching and Web design, I guess all of these go together well. I don’t make images often – my inspiration comes like waves, at some periods of time, I make no images at all. For months there could be nothing. Then one day, I have a good mood, and make some really good stuff, that I want to post on flickr (this is where I put my favorites).”
- “I like Landscape photography, because landscape never goes anywhere. You can anticipate the best light, best angles, and come at the right time. I won’t escape, and I love the peace of untouched nature.”
- “I guess I got serious as soon as I got my first camera. I had a Zenith quite a long time back, when I was a kid, but as soon as I ran out of film, I forgot about it, and the next phase started after I bought a digital Canon soapbox. Nothing spectacular came out of it, but after my SLR upgrade, I even managed to sell one of my images for quite a nice sum (see it), so this is when I became “professional” :) Just joking, I’m not a professional except in the sense that I have been paid to take images.”
- “Black and White. Color. Each for a different purpose. Street and portrait I like in BW, of course – better if it’s film. I actually make quite a few images with my Nikon F3, a fantastic manual camera. My landscapes always turn out better in color, although it takes my breath away to look at full size Ansel Adams prints (which are black and white).”
- A perfect object for photographing – “Untouched nature from the perfect vantage point, at the right light. It’s my dream scenario.”
- “Isn’t everyone different? At least everyone likes to believe that. I guess that everyone has their specific taste in terms of image composition, saturation, contrast, noise – some people prefer grainy Holga images, some like over saturated, noise-reduced HDRs. I guess I have my own taste, and it’s very critical. This is why I don’t have many images posted online, and this is why I don’t have many absolute-favorites from other photographers.”
- “There is nothing – no view, no emotion – that can’t be visualized and brought to the viewer. The only trick is, to do it in a way, that reaches the maximum possible people. Maybe there is a specific way that brings emotion to one person, but maybe there is another way that brings emotion to ten people. If you learn to reach more people with your image, you become a photographer.”
- He gets inspiration from music.
You can find him at: